Radiation therapy is offered at the Requard Radiation Oncology Center, located at the Cancer Center, which is accredited by the American College of Radiology/American Society for Radiation Oncology.
The Requard Radiation Oncology Center provides patients with a full spectrum of radiation therapy services that use advanced equipment and techniques to provide precise treatments for tumor types and locations – often with the benefit of sparing healthy tissue and reducing side effects.
Equipment and techniques include:
- Three-dimensional treatment planning hardware and software that creates an optimal, individualized treatment plan for each patient
- External beam therapy using state-of-the-art Varian accelerators
- On-site large bore CT scanner that accurately determines the size, shape and direction of the beam for each patient
- Intensity modulated radiation therapy (IMRT) that delivers a high, precise dose of radiation to the tumor while reducing the amount of radiation to healthy surrounding tissue
- Stereotactic radiosurgery that treats inoperable cranial and spinal tumors with very fine and ultra-precise radiation fields
- High dose rate brachytherapy (HDR) that uses a miniature radioactive source on the end of a steel cable to robotically deliver treatment for breast (MammoSite and Contura) and gynecological cancers
- Stereotactic body radiotherapy (SBRT) that precisely treats lung, liver and pancreatic tumors with only three to five treatments